How to Cook
This recipe is made with some raw ingredients and isn’t suitable for microwaving, so please follow these cooking instructions carefully.
- Preheat your oven to 220oC/200oC fan/ gas mark 7.
- Remove all packaging, leaving the pies in their ramekins. For best results, brush the pastry with milk or whisked egg*.
- Place the ramekins on a tray in the centre of the oven and bake for
25 to 30 minutes until the pastry turns golden brown.
- Leave to stand for 4 minutes before serving in their ramekins. Be careful, they’ll be hot. Make sure your pies are piping hot throughout.
*Don’t worry, they taste just as good without doing this. It just makes them look even better if you want to impress!
A little bit
on the side
GARDEN PEAS WITH MINTED BUTTER
200g green peas (about 500g of fresh pods, or you could use frozen)
¼ medium onion, thinly sliced
10g fresh mint, chopped
1. Melt 2 tbsp butter in small frying pan. Add onions and sauté for about 5 mins until they are tender.
2. In a small saucepan, add just enough water to cover the bottom and keep the peas from scorching (about 4 tbsp). Add the peas and onion. Cover and cook over a medium heat until the peas are tender (about 5—10 minutes, depending on size and freshness). If the butter is not at room temperature, melt it while the peas are cooking.
3. When the peas are done, drain them, then add the butter and mint.
A full-bodied red wine would be a fine choice but a strong ale, to compliment the ale in the pie, might be even more delicious.