How to Cook
This recipe is made with some raw ingredients and isn’t suitable for microwaving, so please follow these cooking instructions carefully.
- Preheat your oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Remove pie from the box. For best results, brush the pastry with milk or whisked egg*.
- Place the pie on a tray in the centre of the oven and bake for 30 minutes until the pastry turns golden brown.
- Leave to stand for 4 minutes, before gently removing from the case. Be careful, it will be hot.
Make sure it’s piping hot throughout.
*Don’t worry, they taste just as good without doing this. It just makes them look even better if you want to impress.
A little bit
on the side
300g of a mix of spring greens and savoy cabbage
50g melted butter
1. Bring a large pan of water to the boil and add the greens. Simmer for 5 minutes or until tender.
2. Drain and refresh with cold water, then return to the pan with the butter. Gently fold the butter into the greens over a medium heat.
There's nothing better with a steak and ale pie than a pint of beer. It's a true pub classic. Try a nice pint of English bitter or porter to wash it all down.