How to Cook
This recipe is made with some raw ingredients and isn’t suitable for microwaving, so please follow these cooking instructions carefully.
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Remove all packaging, leaving the pies in their dishes. For best results, brush the pastry with milk or whisked egg*.
- Place the dishes on a tray in the centre of the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until the pastry turns golden brown.
- Leave to stand for 4 minutes before serving in their dishes. Be careful, they’ll be hot. Make sure your pies are piping hot throughout.
*Don’t worry, they taste just as good without doing this. It just makes them look even better if you want to impress!
Our Chef Recommends
The ramekins are great, they give the dishes a very classy edge. The pie mixture is cooked just like you would yourself, so it tastes truly homemade.More about ABI
Goes Best With
GARDEN PEAS WITH MINTED BUTTER
200g green peas (from about 500g of fresh pods, or you could use frozen)
2 tbsp butter (to sauté the onions)
¼ medium onion, thinly sliced
10g fresh mint, chopped
1. Melt the butter in a small frying pan. Add the onion and sauté for about 5 mins until tender.
2. In a small saucepan, add just enough water to cover the bottom and keep the peas from scorching (about 4 tbsp). Add the peas and onion. Cover and cook over a medium heat until the peas are tender (about 5—10 minutes, depending on size and freshness). If the butter is not at room temperature, melt it while the peas are cooking.
3. When the peas are done, drain them, then add the butter and mint. Serve with a freshly baked Charlie Bigham’s Steak & Ale Pie.
A full-bodied red wine would be a fine choice but a strong ale, to complement the ale in the pie, might be even more delicious.