How to Cook
This recipe is made with some raw ingredients and isn’t suitable for microwaving, so please follow these cooking instructions carefully.
- Preheat your oven to 200°C/180°C fan/ gas mark 7. (Be careful not to grill by mistake!)
- Remove the film but leave the Meatballs Al Forno in their wooden tray*. Place on a baking tray in the centre of the oven and cook for 35 minutes.
- Leave to stand for 2 minutes before serving. Make sure it’s piping hot throughout.
*Our wooden trays are designed for the oven, just make sure they aren’t placed close to any element or flame.
A little bit
on the side
ROCKET AND PARMESAN SALAD WITH ROASTED RED ONIONS
4 medium red onions
½ bag of rocket (or mixed green salad leaves)
25g parmesan shavings
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 small clove of garlic
The juice of 1 lime
Salt and freshly milled black pepper
1. Peel and cut each onion into approximately 2cm wedges, and arrange these in a single layer on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Brush the surface of the slices with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and place on a high shelf in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until they are beginning to look toasted at the edges and feel tender when pierced with a fork.
2. While the onions are cooking, crush the garlic into a mixing bowl, add the salt and then whisk in the lime juice, olive oil and a good twist of black pepper.
3. Remove the onions from the oven and transfer them to a bowl. Pour the dressing over the onions while they are still warm, tossing them around to coat with dressing. Leave them until they’re quite cool.
4. To assemble the salad, arrange the ingredients in layers; first a layer of rocket leaves, then onions and then flakes of parmesan. Sprinkle with the dressing as you go. Continue like this, finishing off with a layer of parmesan, and serve with Charlie Bigham’s Meatballs Al Forno and a loaf of warm ciabatta straight from the oven.
This is a gutsy dish that is best eaten with a gutsy red wine – a full-bodied bordeaux, for example. Rich Sicilian and Italian reds are a good bet, too.