How to Cook
This recipe is made with some raw ingredients and isn’t suitable for microwaving, so please follow these cooking instructions carefully.
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas
mark 7. (Be careful not to grill by mistake!)
- Remove the film but leave the chilli con carne and rice in their wooden trays*.
- Unfold the foil we’ve provided and tightly wrap over the top of the rice.
- Place both trays on a baking tray in the centre of the oven and cook for 25 minutes. If using a gas oven, cook for an extra 10 minutes.
- Leave to stand for 2 minutes before serving. Make sure it’s piping hot throughout.
*Our wooden trays are designed for the oven, just make sure they don’t touch the element or gas flame.
A little bit
on the side
175g plain tortilla chips
225g jar of salsa
Some sliced spring onions
A chunk of cheese
A pinch of crushed chilli flakes
Soured cream or guacamole
Arrange the chips on a baking tray, pour over the salsa and scatter with the spring onions. Grate over a good chunk of cheese, add the chilli flakes and then put under a hot grill for about 3 minutes to let things melt. Serve with the soured cream or guacamole.
One of the best ways to enjoy chilli con carne is alongside some American brown ale, but if you can’t get hold of some, we recommend going for something Belgian like Leffe.