How to Cook
This recipe is made with some raw ingredients and isn’t suitable for microwaving, so please follow these cooking instructions carefully.
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas
mark 7. (Be careful not to grill by mistake!)
- Remove the film but leave the jalfrezi and rice in their wooden trays*.
- Unfold the foil we’ve provided and tightly wrap over the top of the rice.
- Place both trays on a baking tray in the centre of the oven and cook for 25 minutes. If using a gas oven, cook for an extra 10 minutes.
- Leave to stand for 2 minutes before serving. Make sure it’s piping hot throughout.
*Our wooden trays are designed for the oven, just make sure they don’t touch the element or gas flame.
Our Chef Recommends
The gorgeously fresh garnishes in this dish give it an exotic freshness that’s really special.More about LUKE
A little bit
on the side
EASY ONION AND TOMATO CHUTNEY
3 tomatoes, chopped into medium-sized pieces
2 onions, chopped into medium-sized pieces
4 red chillies
1 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
1 tsp mustard seeds
½ tsp urad dal
A few tender curry leaves
Heat 2 tsp of oil in a pan, sauté the chillies for a few seconds and remove them from pan. In the same pan, add the onions and sauté until they turn transparent. Add the tomatoes and coriander leaves and cook until the tomatoes become slightly soft – you don’t have to cook them fully. Allow the mixture to cool. Once it cools, grind it with the red chillies, (not too smoothly) and season with salt.
Heat 1 tbsp of oil and add the mustard seeds. When it splutters, add the urad dal and curry leaves. When the urad dal turns golden brown, add the ground chutney and cook until the oil separates.
A curry like this calls for a delicious, crisp chardonnay. Although, if you’re feeling bit posh, why not opt for a nice bottle of champagne?